lundi 29 décembre 2014

Posted by Unknown
No comments | 16:33

The final days of the consensus four-star prospect's recruitment will determine his destination.


SB Nation 2014 College Football Guide


SAN ANTONIO, Texas -- With mere days before Miami (Fla.) Westminster Christian athlete Tim Irvin makes his decision at the 2015 US Army All-American Bowl, he told SB Nation Recruiting on Monday that he hasn't yet made up his mind.


"Not yet, I'm still talking to my family, friends, and my coaches about what I'll decide," said the 5'9, 186-pounder, who will choose between Florida, Miami, Texas, and West Virginia.


The coaches of his four remaining finalists only get one call per week per prospect during the current dead period that will extend past Irvin's commitment at the Army Bowl, but he's also keeping up with each of them as he gets set to give his pledge.


The school that has been trending for Irvin recently in his 247Sports Crystal Ball is Texas, a program he visited back in November.


"it was very nice," irvin said. "The coaches and players took me in like I was their son and the city was really nice. The atmosphere and everything was different."


Irvin didn't have a previous relationship with current Texas linebacker commit Cecil Cherry before he took the trip, but the two connected when they took their official visits at Austin for the West Virginia game. While there, Cherry got Irvin's contact information and has stayed in touch with his fellow Florida prospect ever since.


The sales pitch from Cherry? Starting a Florida connection to Texas and winning a national championship together.


As for the Texas coaches, they tried to sell Irvin on contributing early in the nickel position that senior cornerback Quandre Diggs will vacate after the Texas Bowl.


At times in Irvin's recruitment, it seemed as if the chance to play on offense could factor into his decision, but he said on Monday that each one of his finalists is recruiting him as a defensive back.


For Miami, considered the longtime favorite for Irvin, a family connection could help. The famous last name is easy to recognize, as his uncle, Michael Irvin, starred at the U before going on to such tremendous success in the NFL.


However, the elder Irvin has taken a low-key, low-pressure approach to his nephew's recruitment.


"He really doesn't sell me, he just tells me to pray and to pick the decision that fits me," Irvin said. "So he's never pushed me to a particular school, he's just talked to me about how humbling of an experience it is to have. He just wants me to do whatever my heart tells me."


A bigger factor could be the ability to stay close to home in college. it just won't be the biggest factor.


"It would be an exciting thing to play in front of my family and everything, but at the same time, I just have to do what's best for me."


As for Florida, the Gators could be falling out of the race after the recent coaching changes. Dating back to Irvin's freshman year in high school, he's had an excellent relationship with Florida defensive backs coach Travaris Robinson, who has given Irvin a bit of a different pitch than other coaches.


"He just says that he wants me. Other coaches say that they need me, but he just says that he wants me and that I can play as a freshman."


The problem is that Irvin doesn't know if Robinson will remain on the staff of new head coach Jim McElwain. When asked about whether a decision not to retain Robinson would impact his recruitment, Irwin was blunt in his assessment.


"Yessir," he said.


The other finalist is West Virginia, a school that has the advantage of already having players on campus with whom Irvin has relationships.


"It was a nice place and I know a lot of players up there," he said. "They brought me in like it was home and coach Jajuan Seider, my recruiting coach, he's a cool coach and said that he just needs me up there."


During the final days of his recruitment, Irvin said that he'll be talking to friends and family about the educational opportunities at each of his finalists, determining his comfort level at each school. He's planning on majoring in entrepreneurship or sports management.


For a long time, Irvin's Crystal Ball was unanimous in favor of Miami, but Florida received three predictions from September to December. In recent weeks, Texas has trended with nine predictions in favor of the Longhorns to narrow the overall gap to 65% MIami and 29% Texas.






from SBNation.com - All Posts http://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2014/12/29/7464801/tim-irvin-finalists-florida-miami-texas-west-virginia-army-bowl-announcement

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Blogroll

About