dimanche 27 juillet 2014

Posted by Unknown
No comments | 11:21

Perhaps the best pitcher of all time is now a member of the Hall of Fame.


Greg Maddux was the first member of the 2014 class to be honored at the induction ceremony.


A video recounting the greatness of his career was accompanied with an interview with teammate and fellow inductee Tom Glavine. Bud Selig then introduced Maddux and handed him his bronze plaque.




Maddux, 48, is one of only 26 pitchers to win 300 games. In his 23-year career, he pitched to a 3.16 ERA and 355 wins for the Cubs, Braves, Dodgers and Padres.


Maddux's speech began with gratitude to the voters, followed by thanks to his family, his wife Kathy, coaches, scouts, doctors, all of his catchers, and former teammates including fellow inductees Bobby Cox and Tom Glavine.


He mentioned that Gene Michael thought he was "The Batboy" in his early years with the Chicago Cubs. The nickname stuck for a while, but eventually gave way to the more notable "Professor" and "Mad Dog."


Some notable quotes:


"When I was six years old my dad, Dave, was my first coach."


"My brother Mike led by example ... he even taught me about science. It had to do with methane and a lighter." Yes, that was a fart joke.


"I picked Atlanta because I wanted to finally win a World Series ring and start a family. ...Sorry, Chicago."


"I wouldn't be a Cub if I couldn't handle the heartache."


"The next seven years were spent winning division titles, watching the kids grow up, and watching John Smoltz' hairline recede." He also mentioned that he hopes Smoltz will join him and Glavine in the Hall soon.


He noted that his plaque has no logo because he spent 11 years in Chciago nd 12 in Atlanta., saying "Both are very special to me."






from SBNation.com - All Posts http://ift.tt/1nMx3Eb

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Blogroll

About